The school has adopted the Letters and Sounds document (2007) to teach phonics with some resources in the Early Years Foundation Stage from Jolly Phonics.
More information about letters and sounds can be found here.
In the Early Year Foundation Stage and Key Stage 1 phonics is taught daily at a discrete dedicated time. Children are grouped across Reception and Key Stage 1 according to the phase they are working at.
Resources to support the learning of phonics
- Education City – school have paid the annual subscription for each child in school to access Education City at home, and there are many games which support our phonics learning. If you have forgotton your child's login please see your child's class teacher.
(Literacy > Letters and Sounds)
- BBC – there are a number of resources available through the BBC website, for example:
- Family Learning:
- Phonics Play – this is a subscription website. We have paid for in school use and the children are familiar with the games on it. Unfortunately, the subscription does not extend to home use, but individual subscriptions are available to purchase at £12 per year. Some games are free to play.
- Kent Trust
- ICT games
- Letters and Sounds – we use this website in school for resources and games. There are useful online games accessible via this website for example:
Suggested Apps for iPad or tablets
There are a large number of apps available, both for free and at a small cost. On our school iPads we use:
- Mr Thorne does Phonics (various at £1.49 - £2.99)
- ABC Pocket Phonics (free)
Year 1 Phonics Screening Check
The check is a list of 40 words which children will read one -to-one with their class teacher. It will assess phonics skills and knowledge learned through Reception and Year 1.
It will check that your child can:
- Sound out and blend graphemes in order to read simple words e.g. n-igh-t
- ·Read phonically decodable one-syllable and two-syllable words, e.g. cat, sand, windmill.
- ·Read a selection of nonsense words which are referred to as ‘pseudo words’.
For the Department for Education Parents and Carers Information on the Year One phonics screening check click here.